SHAW IS EXPERIENCING AN URBAN RENAISSANCE of unprecedented proportions thanks to its proximity to the downtown core, excellent transportation access, and lively cultural and entertainment venues. Residents enjoy the ever-increasing dining and retail commercial conveniences, while local and national retailers are attracted to the growing residential base. Once home to jazz legend Duke Ellington, the Shaw neighborhood still pulses with a rhythm felt by residents and visitors alike.
- The Adora (1827 Wiltberger Street, NW) delivered nine condos, 28,700 SF of office space, and 12,000 SF of retail to the former Holzbeierlein Bakery in 2021.
- Roadside Development’s Intersect at O (1336 8th Street, NW) will comprise of 79 condos and 3,500 SF of retail, delivering in Q4 2022.
- Dantes Partners broke ground in 2022 on 1707 7th Street, NW (Parcel 42), which will contain 110 studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments (108 affordable) and ground-floor retail.
- Quadrangle/Capstone will redevelop 1840 7th Street, NW into The Langston, a 203-unit apartment building with 21,000 SF of retail space expected to deliver in 2023.
- The District is planning to redevelop the DC Housing Finance Agency headquarters at 815 Florida Avenue, NW into a mixed-use project.
- Causa & Bar Amazonia (Peruvian)
- Cracked Eggery Shaw
- Mariscos 1133 (seafood)
- Never Looked Better (cocktail bar)
- Oyster Oyster (Mid-Atlantic, vegetable-focused dining)
- Quattro Osteria (Italian)
- Stop Smack’n (restaurant and lounge)
- Truluck’s (seafood)
- Yoga Heights U St./Shaw
Great Streets + Main Streets
Many corridors in the neighborhood are designated Great Streets. As funds become available, small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. The area is also supported by Shaw Main Streets through community-based economic development initiatives.
Top Restaurant Talent
- 4 Michelin 1-star restaurants (The Dabney, Kinship, Metier, and Oyster Oyster)
- Unconventional Diner earned a 2022 Bib Gourmand and chef David Deschaies won the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington’s 2020 RAMMY Award for Chef of the Year.
Top Local Industries
141,900 Total Area Employment
- Professional, Scientific, & Technical Services: 22%
- Public Administration: 22%
- Other Services: 15%
(except Public Administration)