Home to “Think Tank Row,” Washington, DC is an international hub of prominent institutions producing innovative research to inform and influence policy. Companies in this cluster benefit from proximity to the Executive Office of the President, U.S. Congress, the U.S. federal judiciary, dozens of federal legislative agencies, and 170+ embassies. It’s no wonder why the world’s largest consultancies have a major presence in DC including BCG, PwC, KPMG and McKinsey & Company.
Business Management & Economic Consulting
Market Research & Opinion Polling
Social Science Research
“Our job is to unleash the potential of the world, and there’s no better place to do that than in Washington, DC.”
MANAGING DIRECTOR & SENIOR PARTNER, BCG
The Washington, DC metro area leads the nation in these specialized skills and is also #1 in the U.S. for the total number of employees in Management Analysts (55,443), Economists (4,863), and Social Science Research Assistants (2,640).3
more Economists than the U.S. average
Management Consulting & Think Tank Employee Concentration
1.00 = US average
PricewaterhouseCoopers, an international auditing, tax, and consulting firm, consolidated its regional offices into a new 182,000 SF Washington, DC office. The 1,700-person regional headquarters opened in 2021. PwC’s new office was awarded LEED certification at the Gold level by the U.S. Green Building Council.
DC Department of Employment Services
DMPED and WDCEP
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) is the District government agency that designs and implements strategies to encourage companies to choose, stay, and grow in DC. Washington DC Economic Partnership (WDCEP) is a nonprofit, public-private partnership that leads business attraction efforts for DC. DMPED and WDCEP collaborate to advance the Mayor’s economic development strategy, with the primary focus of creating and retaining jobs to further drive sustainable, economic inclusion for the District of Columbia.
Collectively, DMPED and WDCEP provide the following services to support your relocation or expansion:
- Assist with your real estate and site selection needs
- Connect you directly to District government agencies, community organizations, and private sector leaders
- Provide key insights from local C-suite executives
- Customize community tours
- Develop key market intelligence and custom research
- Connect you to resources and funding opportunities, including incentives such as the Vitality Fund
- Support in navigating DC Government agency requirements and processes
1. Syndio. Quantifying the U.S. Opportunity Gap. (2020 data)
2. JobsEQ (Q3 2022). Based on analysis of top 25 most populous U.S. metros.
3. JobsEQ. Q3 2022 covered employment