THE SECOND OLDEST COMMUNITY IN WASHINGTON, Tenleytown overlooks the city from its highest natural point and blends a small-town feel with an array of urban amenities along Wisconsin Avenue. Shopping, Fessenden and Fort Reno Parks, dining at more than 30 restaurants, and top-notch educational institutions are all within walking distance of tree-lined streets and two-story single-family homes. Multi-generational and family-oriented, Tenleytown continues to rank among the District’s most sought-after neighborhoods.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profiles Explore Community Data & Map
In 2018, Urban Investment Partners converted the former WAMU studios into a new, 100-unit apartment building.
More than 1,500 new residential units will be added to the market over the next three years, along with 305,000 SF of retail and 170,000 SF of office space.
New Retail + Restaurants
- Confetti Play Café
- Surfside (Mexican)
- Korean BBQ Experience at SeoulSpice
- Formerly Was (art gallery)
- Bullfrog Bagels
- Le Kavacha French Bistro
- Roaming Rooster (fried chicken)
- Squisito Pizza & Pasta
- Sol Mexican Grill
- Five Guys (burgers)
Residential + Commercial Growth
- Over the next three years, more than 1,800 new residential units will arrive across six developments at Wisconsin Ave & Chesapeake St.
- City Ridge, the redevelopment of the former Fannie Mae HQ, has started construction and will bring DC’s first Wegmans, International Baccalaureate’s Global Centre for the Americas, an Equinox gym, KinderCare, and additional retail & office space, plus 687 new residential units in 2022.
- Washington Blade named Friendship Hospital for Animals the Best Veterinarian in 2020.
- Washington City Paper’s Best of DC 2020 winners included Bullfrog Bagels (Best Bagel), CAVA (Best Fast Casual Dining), Club Pilates (Best Pilates Studio), Middle C Music (Best Place to Buy Instruments), Orangetheory Fitness (Best HIIT Studio), & The Washington Ballet (Best Dance Company).
Top Local Industries
19,038 Total Area Employment
- Educational Services: 30%
- Professional, Scientific, & Technical Services: 10%
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 9%
- Fall: Art All Night
- Winter: Tenley WinterFest
- Spring: Get Fit at Fessenden
- Summer: Bastille Day at the Park, Fort Reno Concert Series