NORTH CAPITOL’S FOUR COMMERCIAL CORRIDORS — North Capitol Street and Rhode Island, New York, and Florida avenues — are gateways into DC as well as destinations in their own rights. With hundreds of residential units in the pipeline, the area offers prime retail and commercial opportunities for businesses looking to set up shop.
quick linksNorth Capitol
Notable Business Openings
- The Great American Bistro (2022): restaurant serving American cuisine.
- établi (2021): offering wines, small plates, a wood-fired oven, and a monthly wine club subscription.
- Glassey DC (2020): Indian street food with DC’s youngest restaurant owner, Taj Sohal.
- 11:Eleven Gallery (2019): art gallery specializing in UK contemporary and urban art.
Great Streets + Main Streets
Several streets in the area are designated Great Streets corridors whose small businesses may apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. North Capitol Main Street also provides support through community-based economic development initiatives.
Destination Restaurants + Bars
- 7DrumCity: music lessons for adult hobbyists and home of The Pocket live performance venue.
- El Camino: Mexican restaurant recognized by the Washington City Paper for having one of the city’s best late-night offerings.
- Jam Doung Style: This local staple recently expanded into a new location and still offers the neighborhood’s favorite, authentic Jamaican food.
New + Upcoming Development
- Vicino (1324 North Capitol St NW) will deliver 69 apartments and commercial space in 2022.
- The Maison Kesh hotel project (1634 North Capitol St NW) is under construction.
- 1600 North Capitol St NW, formerly a gas station, will deliver up to 95 rental units and 5,000 SF of retail in 2023.
- The 30,000 SF Langston-Slater elementary school campus (33-45 P St NW) will undergo redevelopment per a District RFP issued in July 2020. Plans call for 55 residential units in both apartments and townhomes.
- The Barnett-Adan Apartments (4-14 Q St NW & 14-16 Florida Ave NW) will comprise 24 affordable apartments (with permanent supportive housing and aging-in-place units) and commercial and office space.
- 1515 North Capitol St NE will be developed into 136 affordable apartments by So Others Might Eat (SOME).