STEEPED IN U.S. HISTORY, 8th Street, SE is DC’s
oldest commercial corridor. It is anchored by the Washington Navy Yard, since 1798, and the United States Marine Corps Barracks, for which it is named, since 1801. These two military bases bring over 18,000 employees each day into the neighborhood. Experience the diverse dining and retail opportunities in one of the most prominent of the thriving Capitol Hill neighborhoods.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profiles Explore Community Data & Map
- The Emblem at Barracks Row sold 20 new residential condos & delivered 3,000 SF of retail at 8th & Virginia Ave. in 2018.
- MMG has delivered 14 new residential units at 9th & Potomac Ave. with a 49-unit addition to 816 Potomac Ave to follow in 2020.
- Martin-Diamond Properties acquired 507 8th St. & 526 8th St. for $10 million and the properties are under construction with a three-story commercial property opening Spring 2020.
18 New Businesses Since 2018
New businesses that have opened along the corridor in the past two years include Amara, Bombay Street Food, Capitol Learning Academy, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Cycled!, Elemeno, European Wax, Mekki Modern Moroccan, Navy Nails, Ovation Eye Institute, Taco City and The Vanity Box.
Destination Entertainment & Events
- The Capital Turnaround opened in the blue castle and is a new 1000-seat entertainment venue.
- The historic Miracle Theater (c. 1909) hosts movies, concerts and other live events.
- Taste of 8th (spring)
- The Barracks Row Garden Party (summer)
- 4th of July Parade
- Fall Festival & Santa Arrives on 8th
Top Local Industries
44,233 Total Area Employment
- Public Administration: 40%
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: 14%
- Accommodation & Food Services: 10%