Anchored by the Takoma Metrorail station and its proximity to the affluent suburbs of Montgomery County, MD Takoma is well-positioned to be a gateway to DC.
Takoma’s unique and vibrant town village character is celebrated with pedestrian-scaled streets, well-preserved Victorian-style homes, and a quaint historic atmosphere.
New Commercial Offerings
- The recently rehabilitated historic Takoma Theatre will house a clinic for the Children’s National Health System, and local retailers Lost Sock Roasters and Turning Natural.
- Donut Run, DC’s first all-vegan donut shop, plans to open at 6904 4th Street in spring 2019.
- Locally owned Yoga Heights, opened a second studio in 2017 in Takoma Central next to Busboys & Poets.
New Residential Development
- Metro-Village (150 residential units) and Douglas Development’s Maple & Willow House (100 apartments) both delivered in 2016.
- Jair Lynch Real Estate Partners is planning to develop a new 121-unit apartment building at 218 Vine Street.
- SGA has submitted plans to HPRB to construct a five-story addition to 300 & 302 Carroll Street and built 79 rental units on the site.
Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants
The commercial areas of Takoma are designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2018, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
- 15% population growth within 1/2 mile (2010-2018)
- $138K average household income
- Detailed demographics