ANCHORED BY THE TAKOMA METRORAIL STATION and its proximity to the affluent suburbs of Montgomery County, MD Takoma is well- positioned to be a gateway to DC.
Takoma’s unique and vibrant town village character is celebrated with pedestrian-scaled streets, well- preserved Victorian- style homes, and a quaint historic atmosphere.
NEW COMMERCIAL OFFERINGS
- The recently rehabilitated historic Takoma Theatre will house a clinic for the Children’s National Health System, and local retailers Lost Sock Roasters and Turning Natural.
- Donut Run, DC’s ﬁrst all- vegan donut shop, plans to open at 6904 4th Street.
- Locally owned Yoga Heights opened a second studio in 2017 in Takoma Central next to Busboys & Poets.
NEW RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT
- SGA has plans to construct up to 140 rental units at 300 & 302 Carroll Street.
- Jair Lynch Real Estate Partners is planning to develop a new 129-unit apartment building at 218 Vine Street.
- Neighborhood Development plans to build 37 residential units & 9,200 SF of retail space at 218 Cedar Street.
GREAT STREETS RETAIL SMALL BUSINESS GRANTS
The commercial areas of Takoma are designated Great Streets corridors. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2019, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.