Located near the banks of the Anacostia River, this historic neighborhood continues to flourish with its dynamic small businesses environment, thriving arts scene, and booming real estate market.
Anacostia’s commercial corridors are centrally located between the U.S. Navy Yard and St. Elizabeths West Campus – future home of the Department of Homeland Security – and located in HUB Zones with excellent access provided by Metrorail, Capital Bikeshare, I-295, I-395 and the Suitland Parkway.
Art & Small Business Hub
- The HIVE 2.0, a small business incubator, is home to more than 55 entrepreneurs, including Mahogany Books—an online bookstore that opened its first storefront in 2017.
- Busboys & Poets will open a full-service restaurant and Hospitality and Culinary Leadership Institute in 2019.
- Annual special events include the Anacostia River Festival and Flower Power.
- 11,371 population within a half mile
- 13,600 average daily traffic counts (MLK Jr. Ave., SE)
- Detailed demographics
New Investments. New Opportunities.
- MLK Gateway: 48,500 SF mixed-use project with 10,000 SF of retail and the new HQ for cybersecurity firm Enlightened Inc.
- Maple View Flats: 114 residential units and 15,000 SF of retail (anchored by Starbucks) with an anticipated delivery of 1Q 2019.
- Reunion Square: The next phase will include a hotel, 133 residential units, and up to 310,000 SF of office & 20,000 SF of retail/cultural uses. The project is supported by a proposed $60.8 million TIF.
- Anacostia’s commercial corridors are designated Great Streets corridors
and small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2018, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
- The 11th Street Bridge project will create new dynamic community space and provide enhanced connections across the river to the Capitol Hill and Capitol Riverfront neighborhoods in 2023.