Located near the banks of the Anacostia River, this historic neighborhood continues to flourish with its dynamic small businesses environment, thriving arts scene, and booming real estate market.
Anacostia’s commercial corridors are centrally located between the U.S. Navy Yard and St. Elizabeths West Campus – future home of the Department of Homeland Security – and located in HUB Zones with excellent access provided by Metrorail, Capital Bikeshare, I-295, I-395 and the Suitland Parkway.
Art & Small Business Hub
- The HIVE 2.0, a small business incubator, is home to more than 55 entrepreneurs, including Mahogany Books – an online bookstore that opened its first storefront in 2017.
- Busboys & Poets will open a full-service restaurant and Hospitality and Culinary Leadership Institute in 2018.
- Annual special events include the Anacostia River Festival and Flower Power.
New Investments. New Opportunities.
- MLK Gateway: 50,000 SF mixed-use project with 22,000 SF of retail (expected tenants are a grocery store, restaurant, and other neighborhood services) and the new HQ for cybersecurity firm Enlightened Inc.
- Maple View Flats: 114 residential units and 15,000 SF of retail (LOI with Starbucks) with an anticipated delivery of 2018/19).
- Columbian Quarter: A 6.2-acre site off of Howard Road will be transformed into 1.6M SF of office, 690 residential units, and 51,000 SF of retail space.
- Anacostia’s commercial corridors are designated Great Streets corridors and small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2017, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
- The 11th Street Bridge project will create new dynamic community space and provide enhanced connections across the river to the Capitol Hill and Capitol Riverfront neighborhoods.
Find available space in Anacostia
Looking for space?Real Estate Search
*All demographic data is for within 0.5 miles.