West End / Foggy Bottom
THE WEST END AND FOGGY BOTTOM blend past and present by achieving a balance of 19th century historic architecture, iconic mid-century modern design, and contemporary mixed-use construction. The neighborhood is home to institutions including the George Washington University (GWU), GWU Hospital, and The Kennedy Center and hosts diplomats and other visitors to the State Department, General Services Administration, Department of the Interior, World Bank, and International Monetary Fund.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profiles Explore Community Data & Map
Boathouse (2601 Virginia Ave.): 250 residential units and 5,000 SF of retail (2020 delivery)
2100 Pennsylvania Avenue: 450,000 SF office building with 30,000 SF of retail (2022 delivery)
2112 Pennsylvania Avenue: 250,000 SF office building with 10,000 SF of retail (2018 delivery)
The Legacy West End (1255 22nd St.): 197 apartments and 5,000 SF of retail (2018 delivery)
Westlight (24th & L Sts.): 164 condos & apartments, 7,600 SF of retail space, and a 20,000 SF library (2017 delivery)
2225 M (23rd & M Sts.): 61 condos, a 19,700 SF squash club, and a new 15,000 SF ﬁre station (2017 delivery)
Insight purchased 515 22nd Street for $34 million and will convert it to 153 multifamily units.
The George Washington University
DC’s largest university has a student body of 27,000, while its hospital employs more than 1,000 physicians and staff.
$100M Kennedy Center Expansion
The internationally recognized John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has added three pavilions (Welcome, Skylight, and River) and Victura Park as part of “The Reach,” a project to increase rehearsal, education, and public event space. The Kennedy Center is also expanding below-grade bus parking and patron vehicle access.
- Boathouse Apartments (2601 Virginia Ave) is a 250-unit, 145,000 SF building with 5,000 SF of ground-floor retail that arrived in 2020. The site was previously a 200-room, 110,000 SF GWU dormitory that had originally served as a Howard Johnson hotel.
- The Wray (515 22nd St), which once housed U.S. State Department offices, delivered 158 multifamily units in 2021.
- GWU’s property at 2100 Pennsylvania Ave will have a new 454,000-SF trophy office building with 30,000 SF of retail and underground parking. WilmerHale will occupy 288,000 SF once the building delivers in 2022.
- Pho Joint (Vietnamese popup at Duke’s Grocery)
- Imperfecto (Mediterranean/Latin American restaurant)
- Tazza Café (American/Mediterranean restaurant)