OFFERING THE CONVENIENCE of Metro access and urban amenities along with the natural beauty and serenity of Soapstone Valley and Rock Creek Park, Van Ness is seeing increased demand and generating heightened energy. Residents of the neighborhood’s apartments and single-family homes enjoy an easy commute, a variety of retail options, a family-friendly atmosphere, and engaged community members.
quick linksVan Ness
Great Streets + Main Streets
In 2021, Van Ness Main Street (VNMS) solidified its extension and service to its northern boundary that includes Forest Hills and Wakefield, from Van Ness Street to Nebraska Avenue. Last year, VNMS awarded more than $61,000 in grant funds and technical assistance among its 63 small businesses.
- Shemalis Market (4483 Connecticut Avenue, NW): Mediterranean deli items and groceries.
- Pill Plus Pharmacy (4215 Connecticut Avenue, NW): full- service independent pharmacy.
- MOM’s Organic Market (coming to 4250 Connecticut Avenue).
- In 2021, VNMS launched Movie Night in the Park at the UDC amphitheater, bringing nearly 200 people per viewing, and ended the year with its 6th Annual Holiday Pop-Up Market.
- Art All Night 2021 brought more than 3,500 people to the corridor to enjoy an artist Pop-Up Gallery market, Pedicabs transporting people up and down the avenue, musical performances, and a movie screening.
Institutional Traffic Drivers
- 20+ embassies
- American University’s WAMU public radio station
- Hillwood Museum
- Howard University Law School
- Levine Music
- University of the District of Columbia Van Ness Campus & David A. Clarke School of Law
Top Local Industries
9,991 Total Area Employment
- Educational Services: 24%
- Finance & Insurance: 16%
- Professional, Scientific, & Technical Services: 13%
Contact: Van Ness Main Streets, Inc.
Gloria M. García