ANCHORED BY THE TAKOMA METRORAIL STATION, this neighborhood serves as a gateway into the District from the affluent suburbs of Montgomery County, Maryland. Takoma’s pedestrian-scaled streets and well-preserved Victorian-style homes lend a vibrant town village character that never ceases to attract new retailers and residents to the neighborhood.
New Restaurants + Retail
- The historic Takoma Theatre (c. 1923), rehabilitated as an outpatient clinic for the Children’s National Medical Center, welcomed specialty coffee purveyor Lost Sock Roasters’ first standalone retail operation. A sixth location for DC juice bar Turning Natural opened in 2021 as well.
- El Sabor A Mexico, a Mexican restaurant, opened in 2021 and Black Box Botanical, a houseplant and wellness shop, opened in 2022.
- Jair Lynch Real Estate Partners is developing Entwine, a 129- unit affordable building for residents aged 55 and older that is expected to deliver in 2022.
- The Arbor at Takoma, developed by Neighborhood Development Company (NDC), is under construction and will deliver 36 market-rate and affordable condo units and NDC’s new corporate office in 2023/24.
- A conceptual development plan calls for up to 380 apartments and 20,000 SF of retail space to be built on the existing Takoma Metro station parking lot through a partnership between WMATA and developer EYA.
Takoma’s commercial corridors are designated Great Streets whose small businesses may apply for grant funds to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs.
Contact: Washington DC Economic Partnership
SVP, Neighborhood Development