SITUATED AT THE CONFLUENCE OF THE POTOMAC AND THE ANACOSTIA RIVERS and directly adjacent to the National Mall, the Southwest Waterfront beckons new residents and visitors with ten world-class museums, seven performance venues, and a rapidly expanding food and cultural scene thanks to the opening of The Wharf. Over the last decade, the population within a half-mile increased 36%, and hundreds of new residential units are underway.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profiles Explore Community Data & Map
Initial phases of this 2.5 million SF mixed-use project at the heart of the Southwest Waterfront neighborhood have already opened, including 500,000 SF of office space, 90,000 SF of retail/restaurant space (anchored by a 55,000 SF Safeway grocery store), and 900 apartments. Another 1,000 apartments and 60,000 SF of retail space, including a black box theater and a new community center, remain in the pipeline.
- Redevelopment of the Randall School will result in 489 multifamily units, a 31,800 SF art gallery, and 18,000 SF for additional uses once Museum Place arrives in 2022.
- The new 22,000 SF Southwest Library delivered this year, while Jefferson Academy’s 2020 renovation nearly doubled the middle school’s capacity from
- 305 to 540 students.
555 E Street delivered the District’s first 252-key CitizenM hotel, 194 rental apartments, and 10,500 SF of retail space in 2020.
- The Kiley (600 4th Street, SW) delivered an eight-story, 315-unit rental apartment building, including 20 duplex units on the 1st floor, in Q2 2021.
- At 400 I Street, the Westminster Presbyterian Church will undergo redevelopment to produce 222 units, including 123 affordable senior rentals, plus a new 18,500 SF church in 2024.
Top Local Industries
61,004 Total Area Employment
- Public Administration: 49%
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: 16%
- Arts, Entertainment & Recreation: 8%