Minnesota & Benning
COLLECTIVELY KNOWN AS “DOWNTOWN WARD 7,” several recent and substantial mixed-use developments surround the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road. Although the neighborhood serves as the headquarters for major employers such as Pepco, DC’s Department of Employment Services, and Unity Health Care, substantial public and private investment in new development is generating exciting opportunities for small businesses to grow. This growth is expected to continue with the forthcoming arrival of an additional District agency, as well as the planned delivery of more than 1,300 residential units.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profile
Great Streets + Main Streets
Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road are designated Great Streets corridors. In 2020, with the financial support of the District’s Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD) and the Washington Area Community Investment Fund (WACIF), the Main Street awarded $128,000 in direct business grants.
Major Local Employers
- Pepco’s Benning Service Center: ~700 employees
- Department of Employment Services (DOES) HQ: ~450
- Unity Health Care: ~70
- Uber Greenlight Hub – support & resource center for local Uber drivers
Top Local Industries
4,375 Total Area Employment
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 20%
- Public Administration: 18%
- Utilities: 13%
- The 6.5-acre East River Park Shopping Center will be redeveloped into up to six buildings that will comprise 855 residential units and 127,400 SF of retail anchored by a grocery store.
- The project’s western portion will convert the 6.7-acre Senator Square shopping plaza and former Senator Theater site into a new office building, 500 residential units, and 43,650 SF of retail.
- The first phase started construction in 2021 and will deliver the new 260,000 SF, 700-employee headquarters for the District’s Department of General Services in late 2022.