A PROACTIVE COMMUNITY Kennedy Street is bolstered by a residential and business population that is committed to the success of the neighborhood and its commercial district. This DC main street’s rare east-west orientation creates outdoor shopping and dining opportunities that are not easily replicated. In addition to its recent residential building boom, Kennedy Street offers significant new business opportunities, especially for independent retailers, restaurants, and specialty grocers.
quick linksKennedy St
Great Streets + Main Streets
Kennedy Street is a designated Great Streets corridor whose small businesses may apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. The corridor also receives support from Uptown Main Street through community-based economic development initiatives.
- 531 Kennedy St: The 10-unit condo building offering 1 and 2BR layouts delivered in fall 2021.
- 809-813 Kennedy St: The Todd A. Lee Senior Residences delivered in 2021 with 38 affordable studio and 1-BR units for seniors as well as retail.
- 14-20 Kennedy St: This project will house the new headquarters for The Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homelessness.
- 145 Kennedy Street: This site will be redeveloped into a five-story building including 35 affordable senior apartments and 6,000 SF of new office space for Phi Beta Sigma.
Top Local Industries
5,896 Total Area Employment
- Heath Care & Social Assistance: 32%
- Retail Trade: 12%
- Other Services (Except Public Administration): 9%
Food + Beverage openings (2020–22)
- Brightwood Bottle Shop (cocktail bar, cider, wine, and beer shop)
- Everyday Sundae Scoop Shop
- La Coop Coffee
- Mita Café