Hillcrest / Skyland
NESTLED BETWEEN TWO REGIONAL COMMUTER ROUTES,
Hillcrest/Skyland’s easy access to Suitland Parkway and Pennsylvania Avenue is a hidden gem. Residents can take a bus, train, car, or bike to work and have created a neighborhood-scale enclave around Skyland Town Center. With next phases of development scheduled to open in the next few years, new development opportunities here will continue to drive the neighborhood’s growth.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profile
Skyland Town Center
With the support of public and private financing sources including an $18.75 million TIF, redevelopment of the former Skyland Shopping Center will transform four city blocks into a vibrant, mixed-use hub:
- Block 2 (2021 delivery) includes the Crest at Skyland (263 residential units & 84,000 SF of net rentable retail) as well as new road infrastructure.
- Block 3 (2022 delivery) will consist of three one-story buildings offering 42,400 SF of retail and will be anchored by a Lidl grocery store.
- Blocks 1 and 4 (2024 delivery) will potentially include 150 for-sale townhomes.
- At 29,000 SF, DC’s first-ever Lidl grocery store, opening in 2022, will anchor Block 3 as part of Skyland Town Center’s second phase.
- Across the street, 98,000 SF shopping center Good Hope Marketplace is anchored by a Safeway grocery store.
Retail Openings (2021-22)
- Chase Bank
- Like That Barber
- Roaming Rooster
- Skyland Nails & Spa
- Starbucks Drive-Thru
- Fuji Steakhouse and Sushi
- Maizal South American Street Food
- Mezze Mediterranean Grill
- Tropical Smoothie Café
Top Local Industries
2,760 Total Area Employment
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 47%
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: 11%
- Retail Trade: 12%