Georgia Avenue / Walter Reed
THE FORMER WALTER REED ARMY MEDICAL CENTER reopened its historic gates to the public in 2017 with celebratory events and the opening of the DC International School. The Parks at Walter Reed, a joint venture of Hines, Urban Atlantic, and Triden Development, will actively integrate the campus with surrounding neighborhoods and bring new residential and commercial opportunities to the area.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profile
Children’s National Research + Innovation Campus
Children’s National Hospital is completing a cutting-edge 12-acre pediatric research and innovation campus after breaking ground in 2018. The development includes a primary care clinic, research labs, a conference theater, and an outdoor play area. The campus is also home to JLABS @ Washington, DC, a life science and healthcare incubator, and will host a biomedical research complex for Virginia Tech.
New Investments + Residential Growth
- Target opened a 27,000 SF urban- format store at Georgia & Eastern Avenues in 2019.
- Seven700, a new 32-unit condo building, delivered in 2021.
- The Brooks (89 condos) and The Vale (301 apartments) delivered in 2021, offering 18,000 SF of retail anchored by Primrose School.
- The Hartley, expected to deliver in 2022, will offer 323 apartments and 69,400 SF of retail anchored by a Whole Foods.
- 7428 Georgia Ave will be redeveloped into a 66-unit fully affordable residential building.
Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants
Georgia Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available, small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. The corridor is also supported by the Upper Georgia Avenue Main Street program through community-based economic development initiatives.
Top Local Industries
15,068 Total Area Employment
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 38%
- Professional, Scientific, & Technical Services: 22%
- Administrative & Support / Waste Management & Remediation Services: 7%