Georgia Avenue / Brightwood
CONVENIENTLY LOCATED along Georgia Avenue between Shepherd Park and Petworth, this neighborhood of rowhouses and Art Deco-inspired dwellings sits alongside Rock Creek Park. Brightwood is also home to Fort Stevens, the site of the only Civil War battle to take place within DC proper. The bustling intersection of Missouri and Georgia Avenues offers a range of local dining choices with ever-expanding options.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profiles Explore Community Data & Map
Great Streets + Main sStreets
Georgia Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor whose small businesses may apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. The corridor also receives support from Upper Georgia Avenue Main Street through community-based economic development initiatives. In 2020, the Main Street granted over $55,000 to Georgia Avenue businesses.
- Adjacent to Fort Stevens, the Beacon Center opened in 2018 with 99 affordable housing units, along with recreational, community, institutional, office, retail, and culinary arts uses.
- The Commodore (5230 Georgia Ave) delivered 26 condos in 2020.
- Safeway completed a $3 million renovation of its local grocery store during summer 2020.
- Georgia Crossing (5756-5806 Georgia Ave) will comprise 319 multifamily units & 48,000 SF of grocery-anchored retail. Neighborhood Development Corporation is undertaking the project, which will include preserving a decommissioned firehouse.
- Petra Development has two projects in the neighborhood: The Soapstone (5816-5830 Georgia Ave), which will include 49 multifamily units, and The Pinnacle (1363 Peabody St), a 38-unit multifamily building renovated in 2020.
Top Local Industries
4,896 Total Area Employment
- Heath Care & Social Assistance: 35%
- Retail Trade: 15%
- Other Services : 14%
(except Public Administration)