Georgia Avenue / Brightwood
CONVENIENTLY LOCATED along Georgia Avenue between Shepherd Park and Petworth, this neighborhood of rowhouses and Art Deco-inspired dwellings sits alongside Rock Creek Park. Brightwood is also home to Fort Stevens, the site of the only Civil War battle to take place within DC proper. The bustling intersection of Missouri and Georgia Avenues offers a range of local dining choices with ever-expanding options.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profile
Great Streets + Main Streets
Georgia Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor whose small businesses may apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. The corridor also receives support from Upper Georgia Avenue Main Street through community-based economic development initiatives and events such as Art All Night.
- 917 Sheridan St delivered in 2021 with 20 residential units.
- Safeway completed a $3 million renovation of its local grocery store during summer 2020.
- Neighborhood Development Corporation’s Georgia Crossing project at 5756-5806 Georgia Ave will include multifamily units and retail. The project also proposes the inclusion and preservation of a decommissioned city firehouse.
- Petra Development has two projects in the neighborhood: The Soapstone (5816-5830 Georgia Ave) with 49 multifamily units and The Pinnacle (1363 Peabody St), a 38-unit multifamily building renovated in 2020.
Top Local Industries
5,8447Total Area Employment
- Heath Care & Social Assistance: 32%
- Other Services : 18%
(except Public Administration)
- Retail Trade: 13%
Upper Georgia Avenue Main Street