A NEIGHBORHOOD WELL-KNOWN
for its history and urban nature, Deanwood’s neighborhood revitalization program efforts have made it a destination. New housing, retail and office spaces near the Minnesota Avenue Metrorail Station are focusing new investment in this corner of DC.
quick linksDownload Neighborhood Profiles Explore Community Data & Map
New Development Underway
- Construction has started at the Strand Theatre site which will be redeveloped into 86 residential units and up to 9,200 SF of retail space, supported by a Neighborhood Prosperity Fund grant. The historic theater will be transformed into the Deanwood Smokehouse (from owners of Ivy City Smokehouse) – a restaurant, music venue, bar, and community space.
- Providence Place will be a new 93-unit affordable housing development, located at 50th & Fitch Streets, with delivery in 2021.
- Deanwood Town Center is a planned 183-unit residential development with 16,000 SF of retail space located at Nannie Helens Burroughs & Division Avenue.
- WMATA is considering the Deanwood Metrorail Station’s 1.6-acre Park & Ride for redevelopment. The site could support 160 residential units & 10,000 SF of retail.
- Six new row homes (4 BR & 3.5 BA) delivered along 4932–4942 Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue in 2019.
Great Streets And Main Streets
Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue and Minnesota Avenue are designated Great Streets corridors. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2019, up to $50,000 was awarded per location. The corridor is supported by the Deanwood heights Main Street through community-based economic development programs.
Top Local Industries
8,658 Total Area Employment*
- Educational Services: 19%
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 18%
- Public Administration: 13%
*JobsEQ (data for 20019 Zip Code, as of 2019 Q3)