WITHIN JUST A FEW YEARS, Capitol Riverfront has accumulated an incredible concentration of uses in 500 acres. Residents and employees pass Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer stadiums on their way to elegant restaurants and active nightlife. Two highly desired grocery stores and other neighborhood supporting businesses have located here. All of these once-in-a-market amenities are accentuated by Capitol Riverfront’s noteworthy parks system and Anacostia riverfront. Already thriving, the area is bursting with opportunity as new developments, including residential, office, hotel, and cultural projects, have arrived or broken ground in just the last year.
quick linksExplore Community Data & Map
By the end of 2020, Capitol Riverfront had gained 69,200 SF of new retail and restaurant space for a total of 729,500 SF, with another 299,400 SF under construction. Joining award-winning local favorites Chloe and All Purpose Pizzeria this past year were more than fifteen local and national retailers, including Atlas Brew Works, Bammy’s, Black Bird Hair Salon, Albi, Maxwell, Mah Ze Dahr, Swizzler, Toastique, Coldstone Creamery, and CVS.
- Home to the 2019 World Series Champion Washington Nationals at Nationals Park and D.C. United at Audi Field, the neighborhood hosted 3.2 million visitors and 360 community events in 2019. This year, the professional teams will be rolling out two of the District’s first-ever sportsbooks.
- Capitol Riverfront will soon have a National Museum of the U.S. Navy (groundbreaking in 2023).
- Two new hotels that arrived in 2020 (Thompson DC) and early 2021 (Cambria) and two others in the pipeline will offer a combined 750 rooms.
- Planned and underway additions include a new public open space, new piers and a possible marina, an extension of the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail, and new streetscape on Half Street.
Top Local Industries
45,361 Total Area Employment
- Public Administration: 46%
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: 17%
- Accommodation & Food Services: 5%
VP of Planning & Development