OVER THE PAST TWO DECADES, CAPITOL HILL has continued its reign as the federal government’s commercial district, noted for charming architecture and shops, superb eateries, and iconic federal institutions. The quaint neighborhood is constantly in motion. From the bustle of Eastern Market to the hustle of Union Station. Pennsylvania Avenue’s wide sidewalks provide a community anchor, as well as a gathering space, for local families, young staffers and seasoned professionals.
quick linksExplore Community Data & Map
Retail + Restaurant Openings
- Restaurants: Butter Chicken Company-3 (Indian), La Collina (Italian), Paraíso (Mexican), The Duck & The Peach (American)
- Beverages: The Wells (gin speakeasy), The Eastern (wine bar), Fight Club at Beuchert’s Saloon (sandwiches and cocktails), Turning Natural (juice bar)
- Desserts: Captain Cookie and the Milkman, Moorenko’s Ice Cream, My Cake Theory
- For Kids: Mathnasium (learning center), The Little Gym (gymnastics)
- The Roost (food hall with ten local food/beverage & retail vendors)
- Safeway (60,000+ SF 24/7 grocery store)
DC’s oldest market and Washington City Paper’s Best Food Market, this neighborhood center remains a vibrant communal hub whose South Hall Merchants and year-round farmers market attract 500,000 annual visitors.
Eastern Market Metro Plaza Park
With completions in 2020 and 2021, the phased 3.2-acre redevelopment offers multi-generational activities with amenities including a splash pad, pavilion, playground equipment, public art installations, and spaces for passive recreation.
Blocks from the U.S. Capitol, Union Station serves as DC’s premier intermodal transportation hub hosting 40 million annual visitors and featuring nearly 250 retail and dining establishments.
Contact: Capitol Hill BID