BROOKLAND IS BOOKENDED by the impressive Monroe Street Market to the west and its historic 12th Street neighborhood main street to the east. This area is well-served by transit options, most notably a Red Line Metro station. Further complemented by several universities and medical facilities, the mixture of institutional and residential uses creates a community that is grounded and stable, as well as innovative and forward-looking.
- In 2020, the Everton at Monroe Street Market delivered 156 units & 20,200 SF of retail, while Portrait Square (3056 7th St. NE) delivered 22 townhomes.
- Plans for 3201 8th St. NE call for 375 units across 2 buildings & underground parking.
- St. Paul’s College Seminary & Residence will convert part of its campus into 60 rowhomes and build a new Paulist Fathers Residence & Mission House.
Strategically Located Near Five Hospitals
- Children’s National Hospital
- Hospital for Sick Children
- Pediatric Center
- National Rehabilitation Hospital
- Veteran’s Administration Hospital
- Washington Hospital Center
- Bad Candy (art gallery, 2021 opening)
- Busboys & Poets
- Primrose (Michelin Bib Gourmand)
- Annie’s Ace Hardware
- Arts Walk
- Dance Place
- Little Miner Tacos (2021 opening)
- Mess Hall (food incubator)
- Right Proper Brewing
- Yes! Organics (grocery)
Top Local Industries
14,365 Total Area Employment
- Educational Services: 34%
- Heath Care & Social Assistance: 27%
- Admin. & Support and Waste Management & Remediation Services: 11%