Benning Road /
East Capitol Street
A NEW MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT adjacent to the Benning Road Metrorail Station has brought affordable housing, neighborhood services, and retail/restaurant space to the adjacent neighborhoods of Benning Heights, Capitol View, and Marshall Heights. The planned Benning Road Streetcar Expansion will connect the area to the H Street NE corridor and Union Station.
quick linksExplore Community Data & Map
- Fletcher-Johnson Middle School (4650 Benning Rd. SE) will be redeveloped into an 816-unit mixed-income community & 20,000 SF of retail.
- Chapman Development plans to convert the 4.5-acre former George Washington Carver Apartments (47th & East Capitol Sts. SE) into 138 affordable units & 28 for-sale rowhouses.
- The new Benning Ridge DMV Service Center (4525 Benning Road) opened in 2016 and brings a steady stream of daily customers to the area.
The renovated Shrimp Boat Plaza offers freshly made donuts, locally roasted coffee/espresso drinks, and ice cream/sorbet, along with breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus.
- The Conway Center, a recently completed, 202-unit affordable residential building developed by So Others Might Eat (SOME), includes 37,600 SF for medical/dental uses and SOME administrative offices, as well as an employment training center and a sit-down deli.
Benning Road Streetcar Expansion
The 18-month design process has commenced to extend the H Street/Benning Road Streetcar line eastward by 2.2 miles, from Oklahoma Avenue to the Benning Road Metrorail Station, with potential revenue operation by 2025.
Top local Industries
4,504 Total Area Employment
- Heath Care & Social Assistance: 30%
- Public Administration: 16%
- Educational Services: 14%