ONE OF FOUR NEW COMMUNITIES INITIATIVE DEVELOPMENTS,
Barry Farm is scheduled to receive $21 million for infrastructure improvements in DC’s 2022 budget. Concurrently, construction is expected to begin on approximately 100 senior affordable housing units. Upon the neighborhood’s completion, Barry Farm will be home to 900 mixed-income rental and for-sale residential units and an estimated 37,000 square feet of retail space.
quick linksExplore Community Data & Map
in the Barry Farm Recreation Center that opened in 2015.
1.86m sq ft
Potential buildout for the redevelopment plan, which calls for up to 900 new residential units and approximately 37,000 SF of neighborhood-serving retail.
New Communities Initiative
The New Communities Initiative is a DC government program, managed by the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development, to revitalize severely distressed subsidized housing, create vibrant mixed-income communities, and assist with addressing residents’ needs.
Phase I To Start In 2021
- The first phase will produce approximately 281 affordable units and 170 public housing replacement units upon completion.
- Building 1B, slated to begin construction during summer 2021, will offer 108 apartments for seniors aged 55 and older, in addition to 77 residences reserved as replacement units for former Barry Farm residents.
Top Local Industries
6,934 Total Area Employment
- Public Administration: 32%
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 29%
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: 9%
Contact: Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning & Economic Development
Development Manager, New Communities Initiative