FROM ITS EARLIEST YEARS as one of DC’s streetcar commercial districts, Anacostia’s downtown continues to ﬂourish with its dynamic small businesses, arts scene, and real estate market. Strategically located between the Navy Yard and St. Elizabeths East & West Campuses, the neighborhood’s corridors are in federal HUB and Opportunity Zones. With excellent access to Metrorail, Capital Bikeshare, I-295, I-395, and the Suitland Parkway, Anacostia is bursting with potential.
quick linksExplore Community Data & Map
Arts + Culture
- The neighborhood is home to cultural institutions such as the American Islamic Heritage Museum, Anacostia Arts Center, Anacostia Playhouse, Craig Kraft Studio, DC GoGo Museum (opening in 2021), Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, Honﬂeur Gallery, Project Create, Smithsonian’s Anacostia Community Museum, Vivid Solutions Gallery, and WeAct Radio.
- Art to GoGo, the District’s first self-guided scooter tour, explores public art and murals dedicated to the official sound of the District.
- As part of the Anacostia Passages Project, a large-scale mural highlights Anacostia’s history and the richness of its community fabric.
- Busboys & Poets opened a full-service restaurant, art gallery, and event space in 2019.
Small Business Support
- The HIVE 2.0 incubator is home to more than 55 entrepreneurs, including Mahogany Books, Nubian Hueman, and the Fresh Food Factory Market.
- The Anacostia BID serves as a resource to the area’s small business owners and hosts weekly Business Briefings to provide economic and technical assistance.
Top Local Industries
4,948 Total Area Employment
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 49%
- Educational Services: 10%
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services: 8%
- MLK Gateway I & II: The new HQ for cybersecurity firm Enlightened and 14,000 SF of retail will deliver in 2021, followed by the new HQ for the Department of Housing & Community Development plus 5,000 SF of retail in 2022/23.
- Reunion Square: The next phase of the 9.5-acre, 1.6 million SF project includes a 237,000 SF office building to be anchored by a new DC Department of Health HQ, as well as 6,600 SF of retail.
- 1234 Good Hope Road: In 2021, the DC government released an RFP to redevelop the 2.6-acre site with potential uses including residential, office,
and retail. .
Contact: Anacostia Business Improvement District