A peaceful, family-friendly neighborhood of sturdy, vintage houses line Rhode Island Avenue, one of Pierre L’Enfant’s original streets, and serves as a major commuter corridor, linking the heart of downtown to Maryland’s suburbs.
Woodridge is bisected by Rhode Island Avenue and bounded by Eastern Avenue, South Dakota Avenue, Michigan Avenue and Bladensburg Road, NE and is characterized by an abundance of two-story single-family homes with large lots and beautiful tree-lined streets.
A New Destination for Small + Local Businesses
- 7 Days Market – 2018 opening
- CapoeiraDC (martial arts) – 2013
- District Floor Depot – 2017
- Good Food Markets (grocer) – 2015
- Eat & Smile Catering – 2013
- Material World Boutique – 2017
- Momo Yakitori (Japanese dining) – 2018
- The Public Option (brewpub) – 2015
- Zeke’s Coffee (roastery & cafe) – 2013
Infill Development Along Rhode Island Avenue
- The Violet (1515 Rhode Island Ave., NE): A new 20-unit apartment building was built in Q4 2018.
- 2027 Rhode Island Avenue: Plans call for a 42-unit residential building with 4,770 SF of retail space.
- Woodridge Library: The new 22,500 SF library was built in 2016 and is the first DC library to have a roof terrace for programming.
- 1736 Rhode Island Avenue: Plans call for 63 residential units.
Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants
Rhode Island Avenue, NE is a designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2018, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
- 135,000+ residents within a 10-minute car ride
- 24,000 average daily traffic count (Rhode Island Ave., NE)
- Detailed demographics