Upshur Street – Boutique Retail + Dining
In the past three years numerous new businesses have opened including Himitsu (Japanese-inspired restaurant), Slash Run (American restaurant), Timber Pizza, Taqueria del Barrio (Mexican restaurant), and Lulabelle’s Sweet Shop.
Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants
Georgia Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2018, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
Burgeoning Restaurant Scene
- The area is home to numerous local favorites such as Looking Glass Lounge, DC Reynolds, Fish in the Neighborhood, Homestead and The Midlands (neighborhood beer garden).
- Himitsu was named #4 Very Best Restaurants in Washington by Washingtonian in 2018.
- Timber Pizza Co. was named to the Michelin Guide’s Bib Gourmand 2019 list.
- 185,000+ residents within a 10-minute car ride
- 20,800-22,600 average daily traffic counts (Georgia Ave., NW)
- Detailed demographics
Notable Retail + Restaurant Openings (2017-18)
- Call Your Mother Deli – 2018
- Capitol Cider House – 2018
- Catrachitos Deli – 2018
- Lulabelle’s Sweet Shop – 2017
- Reliable Tavern – 2017
- Taqueria del Barrio – 2017
- Sweet Sosumba (Jamaican vegan cafe) – 2018