Also known as “Downtown Ward 7,” substantial public and private investments have created exciting opportunities for new, innovative, start-up businesses at and near the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road.
Major employers such as Pepco, the Department of Employment Services, and Unity Health Care bring a steady stream of daytime shoppers.
Uber Greenlight Hub
The 8,200 SF support and resource center for local UBER drivers opened in the East River Park Shopping Center in 2018 and created 25 full-time jobs.
Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants
Minnesota Avenue & Benning Road are designated Great Streets corridors. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2018, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
- Cedar Realty Trust plans on redeveloping the East River Park Shopping Center into 120,000 SF of retail, 33,000 SF of office, and 280 residential units.
- Cedar Realty Trust acquired a 99-year ground lease, with an option to purchase, on the 62,000 SF Senator Square Shopping Center (3924-3968 Minnesota Ave) in 2018.
- The St. Stephens Apartments (4000 Benning Road) delivered 71 units of affordable housing in Q1 2018.
- The former Greenway Market site at 3534 East Capitol Street is being redeveloped by MRP Realty into 137 affordable residential units & 2,000 SF of retail (2019 delivery).
- 102,000+ residents within a 10-minute car ride
- 25,500 average daily traffic counts (Benning Road)
- Detailed demographics
- Pepco’s Benning Service Center (700 employees)
- Department of Employment Services (DOES) HQ (450)
- Unity Health Care (~70)