ALSO KNOWN AS “DOWNTOWN WARD 7,” the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road is experiencing substantial public and private investments that have created exciting opportunities for new and innovative, start-up businesses.
Major employers such as Pepco, the Department of Employment Services, and Unity Health Care bring a steady stream of daytime shoppers.
TOP LOCAL INDUSTRIES
8,658 Total Area Employment
- Educational Services: 19%
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 18%
- Public Administration: 13%
GREAT STREETS AND MAIN STREETS
Minnesota Avenue & Benning Road are designated Great Streets corridors. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2019, up to $50,000 was awarded per location. The corridor is supported by the Minnesota Avenue Main Street through community-based economic development programs.
NEW DEVELOPMENT + INVESTMENT
- Cedar Realty Trust plans on redeveloping the East River Park Shopping Center into 120,000 SF of retail, 33,000 SF of office, and 280 residential units.
- Cedar Realty Trust acquired the 62,000 SF Senator Square Shopping Center (3924-3968 Minnesota Ave) in 2018 with potential redevelopment plans callings for 235 residential units & 88,000 SF of retail.
- The Stephens Apartments (4000 Benning Road) delivered 71 units of affordable housing in 2018.
- The former Greenway Market site at 3534 East Capitol Street was redeveloped by MRP Realty into 137 affordable residential units & 2,000 SF of retail in 2019.
- Pepco’s Benning Service Center (~700 employees)
- Department of Employment Services (DOES) HQ (~450)
- Unity Health Care (~70)
- Uber Greenlight Hub— support & resource center for local Uber drivers