The former Walter Reed Army Medical Center re-opened its historic gates to the public in 2017 with celebratory events, opening of the DC International School, and outdoor community fitness classes.
The DC government plans to actively integrate this 110-acre campus with surrounding neighborhoods and will ultimately lead to five million SF of redevelopment under the joint venture of Hines, Urban Atlantic, and Triden Development.
Children’s National Research + Innovation Campus
Children’s National Health System is building a 400,000 SF medical research facility on 12 acres of the Walter Reed site. Set to open in 2020, the first phase will be a hub for precision medicine and genomic research, along with a pediatric outpatient center.
The Parks at Walter Reed
67 acres of the former Walter Reed Hospital campus will be redeveloped into 2,240 residential units, 170,000 SF of retail, 185,000 SF of office, 20 acres of open space, a hotel/conference center, art, and educational and medical uses. The first market-rate residential building is set to start construction in Q1 2019.
- 133,000+ residents within a 10-minute car ride
- $126K average household income
- Detailed demographics
New Investments + Residential Growth
- Target will open a 27,000 SF small-format store at Georgia & Eastern Avenues in 2019.
- Georgia Row at Walter Reed is a 63- unit stacked townhouse condominium project that started to deliver in 2018 in the 7200 block of Georgia Avenue.
- The Delaney, a new four-story, nine-unit condo building at 7101 Georgia Avenue delivered in Q3 2018.
Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants
Georgia Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2018, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.