GREAT STREETS AND MAIN STREETS
Georgia Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2019 up to $50,000 was awarded per location. The corridor is also supported by the Upper Georgia Avenue Main Street program through community- based economic development.
TOP LOCAL INDUSTRIES
12,917 Total Area Employment
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 27%
- Administrative & Support and Waste Management & Remediation Services: 12%
- Educational Services: 11%
- Adjacent to Fort Stevens, the new Beacon Center opened in 2018 and is a mixed-use community- focused project consisting of 99 affordable housing units, recreation, community, institutional, office, retail, and culinary arts uses.
- Georgia Crossing, by Neighborhood Development Corporation, is a planned development at 5756-5806 Georgia and will consist of 370+ residential units & 45,000 SF of retail space.
This bustling intersection of Missouri & Georgia Avenues offers a range of local dining choices with ever-expanding options. New openings in 2017–19 included Milk & Honey Café, BBQ Bus Smokehouse, Castello Restaurant & Bar, and a second location of local favorite Oohh’s & Aahh’s.