AN INCREASINGLY DIVERSE HOUSING STOCK and strong transportation connections, this neighborhood continues to grow as a dynamic residential community and multimodal center prime for future business opportunities.
Fort Totten/Riggs Park’s residents, businesses, and mixed-use developments support the area as an up-and-coming transit village for local and regional markets.
FORT TOTTEN SQUARE, ANCHORED BY WALMART
The $120 million project delivered 345 apartments, 130,000 SF of retail space (anchored by a 120,000 SF urban-format LEED certiﬁed Walmart) and 750 parking spaces in 2015.
NEW TRANSPORTATION + COMMUNITY ANCHORS
- The $11 million one-mile Metropolitan Branch Trail expansion is under construction and will link Fort Totten to Brookland (Q3 2020 delivery) and ultimately run eight miles from Union Station to Silver Spring,MD.
- A new $20 million Lamond Riggs Library will be built in 2021/22.
ART PLACE AT FORT TOTTEN
- Phase I (The Modern) delivered 105,000 SF of retail/restaurant space and 520 apartments in 2017.
- Phase II will include a 25,000 SF Aldi grocery store, Explore! Children’s Museum, Meow Wolf, artist workspaces, and 270 multifamily units, including units dedicated for artists.
- Fort Totten Square (Phase II) will include up to 90 townhomes, 81 senior rentals and 20,000 SF of retail space (5,000 SF for local businesses).
- EYA is partnering with the St. Joseph’s Seminary to build 80 for-sale townhomes on the campus.
- Totten Mews (4800 block of 6th, NE) delivered 79 new townhomes and 31 single family homes in 2018.