SMALL BUSINESS ASSISTANCE
- Martin Luther King, Avenue is a designated Great Streets corridor. As funds become available small businesses can apply for grants to cover capital improvements and certain soft costs. In 2019, up to $50,000 was awarded per location.
- The Congress Heights Community Partnership was established in 2018 with new branding for the neighborhood as the Soul of the City.
NEW ENTERTAINMENT DESTINATION
The 4,200-seat Entertainment & Sports Arena (ESA), located on the St. Elizabeths East Campus, opened in 2018 and is the new home for the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the practice facility for the Washington Wizards, and a versatile venue that hosts concerts, festivals, and sporting events. The ESA has already hosted Mary J. Blige, mixed-martial-arts, and e-sports competitions.
5 MILLION SF REDEVELOPMENT AT SAINT ELIZABETHS EAST
- Redbrick LMD & Gragg Cardona Partners are the master developers for Phase I and will redevelop 16 acres into 220,000 SF of office (anchored by Whitman-Walker Health), 20,000 SF of retail, 252 apartments, and up to 90 for-sale townhomes, including live-work units.
- Flaherty & Collins and the Anacostia Economic Development Corp. have completed construction on Phase 1A, the conversion of seven historic hospital buildings into 252 residential apartment units.
- Parcel 15 will be redeveloped into a town square with 288 residential units, up to a 150-room hotel, a 200,000 SF office building, and up to 20,000 SF of retail uses.
- The DC government is investing $100 million in infrastructure work and plans to build a new hospital that will be managed by George Washington University.
LOCAL AREA INDUSTRIES
13,338 Total Area Employment
- Public Administration: 37%
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 25%
- Utilities: 8%
Gateway DC and the R.I.S.E. Demonstration Center offer ﬂexible and innovative spaces for meetings & collaboration and provide a destination for farmers markets and other community, cultural, and arts events.