The Conway Center
The recently completed $90 million mixed-use building developed by So Others Might Eat (SOME) offers 202 affordable residential
units, 37,600 SF for medical/dental uses and administrative offices, an employment training center, and a sit-down deli.
New Neighborhood Retail + Services
- The new Benning Ridge DMV Service Center at 4525 Benning Road opened in 2016 and brings a steady stream of daily customers to the area.
- The newly renovated Shrimp Boat Plaza offers freshly made donuts, locally roasted coffee & espresso drinks, ice cream & sorbet, along with breakfast, lunch & dinner menus.
- 136,000+ residents within a 10-minute car ride
- 29,000 average daily traffic counts (East Capitol Street)
- Detailed demographics
- Chapman Development is planning to redevelop the former George Washington Carver Apartments 4.5- acre site (47th & East Capitol Streets, SE) into 138 affordable apartments and 28 for-sale rowhouses.
- The former home to a KFC restaurant (4401-4407 and 4435 Benning Road, NE) was put on the market in late 2018. The 25,926 SF
site has a development potential of about 125,000 SF.
Benning Road Streetcar Expansion
The DC Government has funded the 2.4 mile expansion of the H Street/Benning Road line to the Benning Road Metrorail station. DDoT issued an RFQ for a planning & engineering firm in fall 2017.