A NEW MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT adjacent to the Benning Road Metrorail Station has brought new affordable housing, neighborhood services and retail/restaurant space to the adjacent neighborhoods of Benning Heights, Capitol View and Marshall Heights.
The planned Benning Road Streetcar Expansion will connect the area to the H Street, NE corridor and Union Station.
THE CONWAY CENTER
The recently completed $90 million mixed-use building developed by So Others Might Eat (SOME) offers 202 affordable residential units, 37,600 SF for medical/dental uses and administrative offices, an employment training center, and a sit-down deli.
NEW NEIGHBORHOOD RETAIL + SERVICES
- The new Benning Ridge DMV Service Center at 4525 Benning Road opened in 2016 and brings a steady stream of daily customers to the area.
- The renovated Shrimp Boat Plaza offers freshly made donuts, locally roasted coffee & espresso drinks, ice cream & sorbet, along with breakfast, lunch & dinner menus.
- Chapman Development is planning to redevelop the former George Washington Carver Apartments 4.5- acre site (47th& East Capitol Streets, SE) into 138 affordable apartments and 28 for-sale rowhouses.
- The former home to a KFC restaurant (4401–4407 and 4435 Benning Road, NE) is a 25,926 SF site with a development potential of about 125,000 SF.
BENNING ROAD STREETCAR EXPANSION
The 18-month design process for the 2.2-mile streetcar eastward extension of the H Street/Benning Road Line, which will extend service from Oklahoma Avenue to the Benning Road Metrorail Station, has started with potential revenue operation by 2025.
TOP LOCAL INDUSTRIES
8,658 Total Area Employment
- Educational Services: 19%
- Health Care & Social Assistance: 18%
- Public Administration: 13%