Mayor Gray announces Awardees for Great Streets Grants
June 4, 2014
Last month, Mayor Vincent C. Gray and Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development Victor L. Hoskins announced the second round of FY2014 awards for the Great Streets Small Business Capital Improvement Grants. These investments aim to stimulate small business creation, expansion and retention while also creating new job opportunities for District residents, growing the tax base and improving commercial vibrancy along the District’s emerging corridors and in surrounding neighborhoods.
At a ceremony held this morning at the Anacostia Arts Center, located at 1231 Good Hope Road SE, the Mayor awarded 40 small business recipients approximately $1.3 million in grant monies.
“Congratulations to all of our awardees. The revitalization of each of our great streets means great things for the District of Columbia,” said Mayor Gray. “As small business owners, you are actively contributing to the growth and sustainability of our city’s economy. We value the work you do and are pleased to support your efforts to expand and thrive in your communities.”
Businesses in 11 corridors throughout the District were eligible for today’s round of awards. The Great Streets corridors are Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue/South Capitol Street SE/SW; 7th Street NW; Bladensburg Road NE; Georgia Avenue NW; H Street NE; Minnesota Avenue/Benning Road NE; North Capitol Street NW/NE; Pennsylvania Avenue SE; Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue NE; Rhode Island Avenue NE; and Connecticut Avenue NW.
The awardees are as follows:
• WellCare Pharmacy, a retail pharmacy located at 3923 South Capitol St. SW, Unit A.
• Kraft Studio, an artist studio and gallery located at 1239 Good Hope Road SE.
• DC Modern LLC, a design and building firm located at 1231 Good Hope Road SE, Gallery E.
• Capitol Services, Inc., a construction company that is expanding small business office space located at 3215 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE.
• Lia’s Rainbow, a child care center located at 3109 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE, Unit 4.
• First Choice Masonry, Inc., a construction firm located at 3109 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE, Unit 8.
• Grubb’s Pharmacy SE, Inc., a retail pharmacy located at 1800 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE.
• J. Roberts, Inc., a construction firm located at 2022 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE.
• 1905 Bistro, a neighborhood-serving restaurant located at 1905 9th St. NW.
• Pekoe Acupuncture and Wellness Center, an alternative therapies center located at 1410 9th St.NW, #1.
• Document Managers, an IT firm located at 510 Florida Ave. NW.
• Compass Coffee, a neighborhood-serving coffee shop located at 1535 7th St. NW.
• Off Road Cycling LLC, a fitness studio located at 905 U St. NW.
• Jenks Hardware, a hardware retail store located at 910 Bladensburg Road NE.
• Long Story Short Media, a media production firm located at 2830 Georgia Ave. NW.
• Upshur Books, a retail bookstore located at 827 Upshur St. NW.
• Lofft Contractors, Inc., a home improvement company located at 616 Kennedy St. NW.
• The Maskari Group LLC, a neighborhood-serving restaurant located at 3911 Georgia Ave. NW.
• J&C Unisex Barber Styling Shop, a barber shop and beauty salon located at 3545 Georgia Ave. NW.
• Mani’s Cafe & Market LLC, a neighborhood-serving coffee shop located at 5320 Georgia Ave. NW, #3.
• R & R Janitorial, Painting & Building Services Inc., a building maintenance company located at 2849 Georgia Ave. NW.
• Powell’s Barber Shop, a barber shop located at 1232 H St. NE.
• Old City CrossFit, a fitness facility located at 810 H St. NE.
• Maketto LLC, a community retail marketplace located at 1351 H St. NE.
• Oliver Opticians LLC, an eye care center located at 331 H St. NE.
• Proven Strength and Conditioning, a gym located at 1365 H St. NE.
• Wilson-Epes Printing Company, Inc., a printing-publishing firm located at 775 H St. NE.
• Health IT 2 Business Solutions, LLC, an IT, healthcare finance, and health IT services firm located at 1711 North Capitol St. NE.
• Nest DC LLC, a property management firm located at 87 Florida Ave. NW.
• El Camino, a neighborhood-serving sit-down restaurant located at 108 Rhode Island Ave. NW.
• Uncle Chip’s Cookies, a bakery and sandwich shop located at 1514 North Capitol St. NW.
• Sky Real Estate, LLC, a real estate development firm located at 1703 North Capitol St. NE, #1.
• Drake Incorporated, a construction services firm located at 4315 Sheriff Road NE.
• Fabulous Kids Child Development Center, a child development center located at 5140 Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave. NE.
• Plenary Enterprises, LLC, a general contracting firm located at 1613 Rhode Island Ave. NE, #3.
• Good Food Markets, LLC, a fresh food store located at 2006 Rhode Island Ave. NE.
• S2 Development LLC, a real estate development firm located at 1509 Rhode Island Ave. NE.
• Mess Hall, a food business incubator located at 703 Edgewood St. NE.
• VMG Resources LLC, an employment agency located at 2630 12th St. NE.
• Indique, a neighborhood-serving restaurant located at 3512-14 Connecticut Ave. NW.
More information about Great Streets can be found here: Great Streets.