The Washington DC Economic Partnership (WDCEP) seeks to fill the full-time position of Manager, Small Business & Entrepreneurship, which will be responsible for managing WDCEP’s small business & entrepreneurial development initiatives. The candidate will manage WDCEP’s entrepreneurship-focused educational programming & resources, as well as serve as a liaison between the DC government, business support organizations, and the small business & entrepreneurial communities. This position will report to the Manager of Business Retention & Expansion.
The candidate must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with an interest in entrepreneurship. Top candidates will have previous experiences working with small businesses and program management experience with exceptional organization skills, strong communication & public speaking skills.
WDCEP embodies three core values: innovation, transparency, and accountability. WDCEP reflects innovation as we are committed to creating opportunities to transform programs, initiatives, and processes through new ideas while incorporating previous experiences and leveraging diverse skill sets and perspectives—together creating a team and workplace that generates new kinds of value for our stakeholders. We embrace transparency as we are committed to leading with clear information, allow for knowledge-sharing and provide forthright feedback through open communication. Lastly, WDCEP values accountability as we develop plans and processes to monitor and evaluate progress and risk so we can all be held responsible to our stakeholders and mission.
The following are expectations for reflecting these values in this position.
- Engages with colleagues and external partners about how to advance our relationships and service to stakeholders
- Establishes frequent and effective communication strategies with all staff members
- Shares and solicits lessons learned and other forms of knowledge sharing with other team members
- Develops appropriate plans to monitor and evaluate progress and risks for successful completion of projects and other work responsibilities
- Proactively seeks and provides constructive feedback on work and working environment issues
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Management & Content Development
- Manage all aspects of program, planning, and content development for WDCEP’s entrepreneurial focused initiatives, including trainings, workshops, and virtual and in-person education and networking events, such as DC Biz Chats, DC Biz Cafes, DC Doing Business Guide, and our Entrepreneur Toolkits.
- Provide day to day program leadership, execute work plans, evaluate progress and track effectiveness of the programming and initiatives.
- Prepare monthly reports, initiative closeout reports, and annual program plans and reports.
- Manage the research and content creation of both print and online small business educational resources.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Business Retention & Expansion and the Vice President, Programs to identify, develop and execute strategies to support entrepreneurship in DC, including new event opportunities, topics, and markets for educational programming & initiatives.
Small Business & Entrepreneurship Liaison
- Serve as a business development specialist by providing assistance to small businesses and entrepreneurs in the District of Columbia.
- Develop & maintain strong relationships & partnerships with other business support organizations.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with local businesses and provide them with appropriate support information.
- Conduct needs assessments of the small business and entrepreneurial community.
- Collaborate with WDCEP marketing team to publicize WDCEP and its small business programming and services through a variety of mechanisms including social media, website and other marketing channels.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in program management, event management, or small business assistance.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution preferred.
- Positive, entrepreneurial spirit including ability to seek new and creative solutions to challenges.
- Proven track record of developing and managing through a results-based framework by delivering high-quality programs and leveraging data to drive continuous learning and program improvement.
- Demonstrated skills at building and cultivating strong relationships with key stakeholders, including staff, partners, and government officials.
- Entrepreneurship and/or small business experience, preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with precision and attention to detail while continually finding ways to improve processes to produce higher quality events with more effective results.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking, organizational, and problem-solving skills and abilities.
- Experience with Salesforce, preferred.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- $65,000 to $70,000 annual salary based upon experience
- Competitive benefits package (e.g. health, dental, 401k, life, office gym)
The Washington DC Economic Partnership has partnered with PNP Staffing Group to conduct this search. To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Mary McGuckin, Executive Recruiter with PNP Staffing Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.