The Washington DC Economic Partnership (WDCEP) is seeking an economic development professional to lead our business retention and expansion (BRE) efforts. WDCEP is seeking an energetic individual who is passionate about engaging with the business community to help the District of Columbia’s economy grow so all businesses can thrive, expand, and create opportunities for the citizens of the District.
The WDCEP, a non-profit, public-private partnership, focuses on facilitating economic development on behalf of the District of Columbia. Through our business attraction and retention programs, WDCEP promotes the District nationally and internationally to attract & retain businesses and support the local entrepreneur ecosystem.
1. Position Overview
The Manager of Business Retention & Expansion will be responsible for the development and implementation of an ongoing BR&E engagement of local employers and targeted industry sectors to determine business needs, investment opportunities, barriers and potential solutions facing the DC business community. Through this engagement the Manager will learn the businesses’ perspectives about operating & investing in DC, provide them with relevant information, and match them with appropriate resources that are available from the DC government, WDCEP and other partnering organizations & agencies.
The success of the BR&E program will depend on the ability of the Manager to build and maintain relationships with local companies and support their unique needs with various services and assistance. This will be accomplished through business retention visits, phone calls, face-to-face meetings, and meetings/conferences.
The Manager will collaborate with District agencies, specifically the Office of Planning & Economic Development, and WDCEP’s economic development partners to identify prospective companies for engagement and ensure the BR&E program aligns with DC’s Economic Strategy.
Work will be performed under the general direction of Senior Vice President of Research & Real Estate but this position will require significant multi-tasking skills, independent thought, action and self-supervision to attain the program’s goals.
2. Primary Responsibilities
- Development & implementation of an ongoing BR&E conversations & surveys with local businesses.
- Identify strategies to improve the overall health of the DC business environment.
- Recommend new strategies and programs to help retain and grow local firms.
- Network and develop strategic partnerships with the local business community, associations and all levels of government and industry associations to promote and facilitate business retention and expansion services.
- Work with the real estate community to keep track of major tenants in the market and assist with their relocation and expansion needs.
- Conduct partner meetings for information sharing and discussion of key business concerns and issues.
- Manage and strengthen relationships with WDCEP partners, both public & private, and maintain current knowledge of the relevant services of each partner organization.
- Work collaboratively with WDCEP staff to support the vision and mission of WDCEP.
- Meet in-person regularly with C-suite personnel to identify business needs and concerns that are facing local enterprises.
- Determine potential partnership & collaboration opportunities between the local business community and DC government & WDCEP.
- Promote DC government & WDCEP programs/services to the local business community.
- Respond to requests from the business community for information and assistance with respect to programs, information, and opportunities.
- Maintain a client management procedure and tracking system that includes prospecting, responsive inquiries, follow-up and customer management activities.
- Establish and maintain a system to measure the performance of the overall program.
- Analyze data from business visits to identify trends in the local economy and proactively determine appropriate solutions.
- Produce quarterly reports with data generated from company visits and an annual report by the first of the New Year.
3. Job Requirements
- University degree in business administration, economics, marketing, real estate, or a liberal arts field with strong emphasis on analytical and creative thinking.
- At least 3 years of experience.
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong ability to develop and maintain relationships and partnerships.
- Possesses a diverse network and able to prospect new relationships.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and a team player; professional at all times.
- Must have the ability to handle conﬁdential and sensitive information appropriately.
- Experience with direct customer contact, including business to business, business to customer and business to government.
- Knowledge of the District’s industries, the economy, and the community.
- Exceptional organizational, reporting, presentation and communication skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking & giving presentations.
- High degree of competence with customer management databases (e.g. Salesforce) and Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Excel, Word, SharePoint).
- Based on qualifications
- Benefits (e.g. health, dental, 401k, life, gym membership)
- January 2019
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.