The Director of Marketing & Communications leads the development, execution, management, and evaluation of the integrated marketing and communications strategy on behalf of the Washington DC Economic Partnership to advance Washington, DC’s identity and broaden awareness within our market and target audiences.
This position collaborates with the leadership team and staff members to identify internal and external marketing opportunities and challenges, and to create, define, and execute strategies to support them. This position reports to the President & CEO.
- Develop and implement a positive marketing strategy that will raise Washington, DC’s profile as a prime business location to local, national, and international audiences, including business owners, C-Suite executives, investors, and talent.
- Develop marketing pieces for WDCEP and outside economic development partners: annual reports, marketing brochures, informational handouts, PowerPoint presentations, invitations, etc.
- Develop and manage media and marketing plans, including paid and organic, to drive lead generation, traffic to website, and awareness of WDCEP and Washington, DC.
- Develop annual video and future marketing videos that support the overall mission of the partnership. This includes storyboarding, scripting writing, casting, and CTAs.
- Manage marketing relationships with partner organizations including the Deputy Mayor’s Office of Planning and Economic Development, the Executive Office of the Mayor, Events DC, Destination DC, Think Local First, DSLBD, board member companies, and others.
- Contributes to the development of new program concepts, publications, or special events.
Communications & Public Relations
- Create and implement specific marketing, public relations campaigns, and media outreach for the promotion of WDCEP and the District of Columbia.
- Responsible for developing and executing a clearly defined social media strategy for WDCEP.
- Strategically manage and update WDCEP’s digital channels and social media accounts (website, Twitter, LinkedIn, e-newsletter, blog, etc.) to maximize effectiveness and support other organizational initiatives.
- Develop strategies and work with support agencies to grow WDCEP’s online following (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook) and steadily grow traffic to WDCEP.com.
- Lead the narrative, script writing, authoring of articles, website content, press releases, and other copy as needed for all materials and digital channels.
- Pursue earned media with local and national publications to showcase economic activity in Washington, DC.
- Serve as key contact for all media inquiries and press interviews and manage onsite media at major events that Washington, DC attends.
- Research, assemble, and maintain media and promotional partner list for public relations and marketing campaigns.
- Provide measurable results through data analysis of traffic, impressions, and reach to determine effectiveness and efficiency of implemented communications and marketing plans.
- Create all written communications originating from WDCEP including web site content, social media input, newsletters, marketing materials, press releases, blog posts, and promotional materials.
- Develop talking points/scripts for the President & CEO for all speaking engagements, including WDCEP’s Annual Meeting.
- Develop campaigns, marketing, and media strategies for Washington, DC activations including ICSC, SXSW, and other events hosted outside of the city.
- Lead creative, narrative, outreach solutions, and generate awareness of core WDCEP events and programs, including its Annual Meeting, DC Biz Chats, SXSW, ICSC, among others.
- Develop and execute marketing strategies for WDCEP events including creative direction, marketing materials, event branding, and outreach messaging and channels.
- Position oversees WDCEP’s Creative Strategist and works collaboratively with other departments to provide graphic support for initiatives.
- May also manage seasonal intern, generating marketing and communications-specific tasks, and giving constructive feedback.
- Based on qualifications
- Benefits (e.g. health, dental, 401k, life, gym membership)
- Mid-June 2019
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.