The Director of Marketing & Communications leads the development, execution, management and evaluation of the integrated marketing and communications strategy on behalf of the Washington DC Economic Partnership to advance Washington, DC’s identity and broaden awareness within our market and target audiences.
WDCEP developed a comprehensive marketing and communications blueprint and the position will execute and implement best practices to raise Washington, DC’s profile to support local entrepreneurs and businesses. This position collaborates with the leadership team and staff members to identify internal and external communications opportunities and challenges, and to create, define, and execute strategies to support them.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record of managing creative and proactive marketing and communications campaigns carefully tailored to the objectives of the organization and integrating forward-thinking strategies across a variety of channels.
The Director, Marketing and Communications is a full-time position that reports to the President & CEO.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Administration, or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience in marketing and communications, preferably in a non-profit, government, or agency setting. Digital agency experience preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Mailchimp and CRM systems, preferably Salesforce.
- Thorough knowledge of social media best practices.
- Demonstrated branding and design skills.
- Experience using Google Analytics and other related tools to measure success and pivot programming with strategic vision.
- Experience in planning, developing and implementing strategic marketing campaigns.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and the ability to write copy for blogs, website, press releases, etc.
- Proven ability to work in fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Working knowledge of economic development activities and familiarity with Washington, DC.
- Responsible for all internal WDCEP marketing that promote, grow and extend organizational and programs in alignment with the marketing and communication blueprint.
- Exercising management/oversight of marketing department staff; this position currently has two direct reports (Marketing Coordinator and Creative Strategist).
- Elevate WDCEP’s brand identity by working with Creative Strategist and external vendors to develop marketing collateral including: annual report, information decks, publications, videos, event promotions, etc.
- Responsible for budgeting and planning of all marketing activities and works closely with operations team to ensure all expenses are within approved budget parameters and making adjustments as needed.
- Develop and manage robust social media campaign(s) and digital marketing strategies to drive awareness, lead generation, traffic to website, and awareness of organizational programs and activities.
- Maintains database and contact lists for organization while preparing dynamic email marketing campaigns to support all activities.
- Identification of marketing KPIs and goals across the organization, while overseeing the reporting of all metrics to measure and report effectively.
- Provide detailed analysis of all ongoing marketing activities while ensuring deadlines are met and timelines are clearly communicated.
- Manage relationships with key external stakeholders and vendors such as city agencies, graphic designers, social media, PR, etc.
- Support organizational fundraising activities through collaborative planning and providing marketing support as requested including awareness of sponsorship opportunities.
- Lead creative, narrative, outreach solutions, and generate awareness of core WDCEP events.
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of multichannel communications plan in conjunction with business attraction and retention staff.
- Serve as key contact for inbound media requests and preparing WDCEP staff for any externally facing opportunities including events, panels, press interviews, etc.
- Create and implement specific public relations campaigns, and media outreach for the promotion and reputation of WDCEP and the District.
- Leads the narrative, script writing, authoring of articles, website content, press releases, and other copy as needed for all materials and digital channels.
- Executes WDCEP digital strategy across social media platforms to optimize performance, build engagement and streamline awareness
- Manages and update WDCEP’s digital channels and social media accounts (website, Twitter, LinkedIn, e-newsletter, blog, etc.) to maximize effectiveness and support other organizational initiatives.
- Pursue earned media with local and national outlets to showcase economic development activity in Washington, DC.
- Research, assemble, and maintain media and promotional partner list for public relations and marketing campaigns.
- Provide measurable results through data analysis of traffic, impressions, and reach to determine effectiveness and efficiency of implemented communications and marketing plans.
- Create all written communications originating from WDCEP including web site content, social media input, newsletters, marketing materials, press releases, blog posts, and promotional materials.
- Develop creative initiatives to reach underserved audiences and implement best digital marketing best practices during COVID-19 to remotely engage audiences.
- Develop talking points/scripts for the President & CEO for all speaking engagements.
- $85,000 – $90,000 (depending on qualifications)
- Competitive benefits package (e.g. health, dental, 401k, life, office gym)
To apply for this position, please email a brief writing/marketing sample along with your résumé and cover letter to Jonathon Koudelka, Manager of Operations.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.