Technology & Entrepreneurship Intern
The Technology and Entrepreneurship Intern at WDCEP will assist with tech business attraction and promotion initiatives focused on economic development in the District of Columbia. This position will report directly to the Program Associate, Technology & Entrepreneurship and will support the growth and operations of WDCEP’s technology startup mentoring program, the Accelerate DC Venture Mentoring Service.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide support for all programming related to technology and entrepreneurship initiatives, namely monthly AccelerateDC meetings and educational events
- Assist with creation of a robust internal reference tool, cataloging AccelerateDC mentor expertise, interests, and activities
- Working closely with the Director, Technology & Entrepreneurship and the Program Associate, Technology & Entrepreneurship to create a robust and diverse AccelerateDC mentor recruitment strategy
- Assist with building out and maintaining AccelerateDC Intranet on Google Sites
- Conduct research relating to technology, entrepreneurship, startup mentoring and resources in DC and nation-wide
- Create content for newsletters, social media posts, web site, invitations, and blogs to promote AccelerateDC venture news, opportunities, and events
- Develop and complete a custom research project, focused on tracking and promoting DC-area tech startups, to publish on WDCEP channels
- Serve as occasional support to WDCEP’s Operation’s Department. This will involve covering the front desk, setting up for meetings, and other tasks as needed.
- Deliver presentation to office staff at end of term on key takeaways from internship and research project findings
What we look for in a qualified intern:
- Part-time and full-time positions available; full-time preferred
- Creative problem-solver, with interest in small businesses and technology entrepreneurship
- Ability to work in a team environment while being a self-starter with effective time management skills
- Curious researcher; preferably enjoys collecting & cataloging data
- Strong writing and editing skills with an attention to detail; will be asked to write in different capacities (email, letters, copy, creative, and 140 character messages)
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office, Google Sites, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor
- Willingness to help staff evening events
- Previous office experience a plus
- Knowledge of DC neighborhoods and an interest in the city’s economic development a plus
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast pace environment is necessary
- Business professional attire required
What you gain as an intern at WDCEP:
- A great understanding of Washington D.C.’s business community and vibrant neighborhoods
- Opportunities to make connections that will build your professional network within the technology, entrepreneurship, and local small business sectors.
- A greater understanding of economic development and what is required of economic development professionals
- Projects to allow you to become well-versed in DC’s economic indicators & trends
- Experience completing meaningful work (no getting coffee)
Salary: Unpaid, Academic credit and monthly transportation stipend available.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter HERE. No phone calls please.