The research & real estate department at the Washington, DC Economic Partnership (WDCEP) hopes to mentor a GIS Intern for fall 2017.
The WDCEP is looking for individuals who are interested in GIS and how it relates to urban planning and commercial development and can thrive in a professional office environment.
In addition to the critical experience gained at WDCEP, this position will work on a complete semester-long project designed to showcase the intern’s skills and interests to potential future employers.
- Develop skills in GIS, data analysis, and economic development research
- Learn about urban planning, real estate, and retail climate in Washington, DC
- Attend events/meetings and build connections with the commercial real estate community, local business owners, local government officials, and community development organizations
- Produce a semester-long project that the intern can use as evidence of work history in future job interviews and applications
DC Development Mapping Project
- The intern will work primarily on the DC Development Mapping Project, representing development/construction projects at the parcel level and storing in a geodatabase. This data will ultimately be used in WDCEP’s Economic Development Prospecting Tool
- Create online, interactive story-maps using WDCEP’s data via ArcGIS Online
- Participate in WDCEP’s Map of the Month, which is featured in our newsletter and has been featured in The Washington Post, Technical.ly and DCist
- digitizing data from electronic or paper maps and images
- Use development data to analyze growth areas of DC
- Review Planned Unit Development and Large Tract Review applications to determine a project’s scope and geography
- Mapping the Impact Economy
Administrative / Other
- Assist with special events as needed
- Assist WDCEP staff in other departments
- Must be available at least 16 hours/week (2 days)
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate program in Geography, GIS, Economics, Economic Development, Urban or Regional Planning, Real Estate Development/Management, Public Policy, Business, or similar program
- Competent in Microsoft Office
- Excellent writing skills and ability to pay attention to detail
- Experience using ArcGIS or other similar mapping software
Please note that this internship is unpaid. The intern will receive a travel stipend to help cover public transportation to and from work.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter HERE. No phone calls please.