Interning with WDCEP
The business development intern at WDCEP will provide support to the business development team at WDCEP. Duties include assisting WDCEP’s programming for all business retention and attraction initiatives and helping to coordinate the monthly speaker series program, Entrepreneur Road Map.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Collect data from U.S. Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics and other databases
- Conduct field research for development projects and neighborhoods
- Assist with Urban Land Institutes (ULI) Conventions; International Council of Shopping Centers RECon Conference, Neighborhood Retail Summits, Restaurant/Retail Site Tours, and WDCEP’s Annual Meeting Luncheon and Development Showcase
- Update and maintain database of retail sites throughout D.C.
- Assist with organization of WDCEP Annual Meeting and Development Showcase
- Assist DC’s retail attraction efforts
- Custom research project opportunities available
- Present presentation to office staff at end of term on key takeaways and/or research project findings
What we look for in a qualified intern:
- Part -time and full-time positions available; full-time preferred
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast pace environment
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from a undergraduate or graduate program in Economics, Economic Development, Urban or Regional Planning, Public Policy, Business, or similar program
- Preferably enjoy collecting & cataloging data
- Basic Microsoft office experience
- Excellent writing skills and ability to pay attention to detail
- Previous office experience a plus
- Business professional attire required
What you gain from an internship at WDCEP:
- Meaningful work (no getting coffee)
- An understanding of Washington, D.C.’s business community and vibrant neighborhoods
- Connections and ability to build a professional network with local business owners, local government officials, real estate professionals, and more
- Attend important meetings with government agencies, business improvement districts, policy working groups, and more.
- Have a greater understanding of what is required for economic development and of economic development professionals
- Become well verse in DC’s economic indicators & trends
- Learn how to use Salesforce and CoStar (a premier database website used by most office and retail brokers)
Salary: unpaid, Academic credit and monthly transportation stipend available.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter HERE. No phone calls please.